Sausages with Peperonata
As summer comes to an end, peperonata is a handy way to use up the last of the peppers and tomatoes. This recipe turns them into a sweet stew that goes very well with sausages. For a tasty accompaniment, bake wedges of skin-on potatoes coated in olive oil and thyme alongside the sausages.
* olive oil
* 8 good quality large sausages
* 30 g butter
* 3 medium red onions, approx. 360 g
* 4 large red peppers, 800 g (a mixture of red and yellow will also be fine)
* 6 large beef tomatoes, approx. 800 g
* 2 garlic cloves
* a few sprigs fresh basil
* salt and pepper
* potato wedges (see above)
GET AHEAD PREPARATION (optional)
The peperonata can be made up to 2 days in advance and warmed through when required. If you only have a little time:
* Prepare the onions and garlic.
* Cut the peppers into strips.
* Peel the tomatoes.
35 minutes before you want to eat
* Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
* Lightly grease a roasting tin with oil, add the sausages and put them in the oven for 25 minutes until they are brown and cooked through.
* Heat the butter and some oil in a heavy-based pan with a lid. Peel and finely slice the onions and add them to the pan. Put on the lid and leave them to soften for 7–10 minutes.
* While the onions are cooking, cut the peppers in half lengthways, deseed them and cut them into 2–3-cm wide strips. Add them to the pan, put the lid back on and let them cook quite vigorously while you prepare the tomatoes. Stir them from time to time as you don’t want them to colour.
* Peel the tomatoes by plunging them into boiling water for 2–3 minutes, then running them under cold water until you can slip off their skins. Once they are peeled, chop the tomatoes into bite-sized chunks, then peel and slice the garlic.
* Add the tomatoes and garlic and a good dose of salt and pepper to the onions and peppers. Now cook the onions, tomatoes and peppers for 7–10 minutes with the lid on and for 5 minutes without the lid.
* The peperonata should be fairly dry. Tear in some basil leaves and serve it with the sausages, and potato wedges if you wish.